Indian rose culture has been truly enriched by the creations of scores of rose breeders who over the last nearly nine decades have developed hundreds of varieties in different categories and plant types, suited to different climates in India. Several of the Indian rose varieties have won laurels and awards internationally, besides regularly being crowned ‘King/ Queen’ of the Show at Flower Festivals nationally.
The Agri-Horticultural Society of India (AHSI), Kolkata, while in celebrating its Two Hundred Years of glorious contributions to the growth of garden culture in India, proposes to recognize the contributions of a few select rose breeders of the country. AHSI will like to request all living rose breeders in India to please submit their claims for these awards as per the following format:
Please attach photographs of your best five (5) varieties. Also state why you consider them to be better than others in your list of products.
- Name of the Breeder:
- Contact details (Address, Email, Phone):
- Location of Farm / Breeding Plots:
- Total Number of roses bred / evolved:
Category: HT / Floribunda / Grandiflora / Climber / Rambler / Miniature
Growth type: Shrub / Garden bed / Climber / Dwarf / Tree / other
Usage: Garden / Cut flower / Loose flowers / Essential oil / etc.
(Please enclose a list of varieties developed with their parentage)
- Breeding methods employed (Hybridization / Seedling selection / Mutation / etc.).
- Main objective (s) for your rose breeding program
- Are your roses registered with International Cultivar Registration Authority for Roses or any National Agency
- Are your roses listed in Modern Roses (If yes, please cite Volume No.)
- Suitability of your rose varieties for growing in different states of India.
- Arrangements for their multiplication and availability for rose growers.
- Have your rose varieties won any prize / award. If yes, give details.
- Any other relevant information
A total of six (6) awards (as below) are proposed:
- Life Time Achievement Award
- Best Rose Breeding Research Institute
- Best Rose Breeder – South India
- Best Rose Breeder – East India
- Best Rose Breeder – West India
- Best Rose Breeder – North India
Research Institute (ICAR; CSIR; SAUs; Other Universities)
South India (Andhra Pradesh; Karnataka; Kerala; Tamil Nadu; Telangana)
East India (Arunachal Pradesh; Assam; Bihar; Chhattisgarh; Jharkhand;
Manipur; Meghalaya; Mizoram; Nagaland; Odissa; Sikkim; Tripura; West Bengal)
West India (Gujarat; Goa; Madhya Pradesh; Maharashtra)
North India (Haryana; Himachal Pradesh; Punjab; Jammu & Kashmir; Rajasthan; Uttar Pradesh; Uttarakhand)
The awardees will be selected based on the information submitted, by a Judging Committee constituted by AHSI. The decision of the Judging Committee will be final.
All applications for the awards must reach AHSI on or before 15 November 2019. The applications can be submitted online on: email@example.com; and / or to the Organizing Secretary, WRRC 2020, The Agri Horticultural Society of India, 1 Alipore Road, Alipore, Kolkata – 700 027. Please mention ‘Application for Rose Breeding Award’ in the subject line for online application and on the envelop cover for hard copies sent to AHSI address.