Bengal Rose Society was established in 1981 with the objective of promoting culture and improvement of roses in West Bengal and its adjoining areas in eastern India.
For more information visit www.bengalrose.in
- Late Swami Gouriswarananda of the Ramakrishna Mission, himself a well-known rosarian was the founder President of the Society. Late Dr. Sivaprasad Bandyopadhyay, another eminent rose breeder was also one of the founding members of the Society.
- The society is affiliated to Indian Rose Federation, through which it is connected with the World Federation of Rose Societies (WFRS).
- The society organises 'Annual Rose Show' every year in the month of January and publishes its 'Rose Annual' and other periodicals featuring quality articles on varying topics relating to the art, science and commerce of rose. These are written by eminent experts from India and abroad. It also published an internationally acclaimed monograph titled 'Wonderful Rose Gardens around the World' which is now a valuable collectors' item.
- The society periodically organises seminars and workshops on cultural and commercial aspects of rose.
- The society has so far organised 'All India Rose Convention and Rose Show' in Kolkata thrice – in 1991, 2005 and 2017, under the aegis of the Indian Rose Federation. On all of these occasions the Convention was held jointly with The Agri Horticultural Society of India.
- Among its members, the Society has a number of experts on roses who provide guidance and advice to enthusiasts engaged in, or wanting to take up the growing of roses. These experts also render consultancy services on rose gardening to institutions. The Honourable High Court at Kolkata, the Victoria Memorial Hall and others have been among the recipients that received such services rendered by the Society.
- In 2014, experts from Bengal Rose Society played a major role in preparation of the gardens for the WFRS World Regional Convention held in Hyderabad.
- Some members of the Society have perfected highly innovative skills of rose culture in pots, particularly on soil-less medium which are of very high standards are well known nationally as well as internationally.
- Starting with its founder-member Late Dr. Sivaprasad Bandyopadhyay who was an extraordinary plant breeder, including of roses, Bengal Rose Society has given to the country a number of highly accomplished breeders of roses and experts in its culture. It takes pride in the fact that as many as five of its members namely Mr. Subrata Ghosh (together with Mrs. Sandhya Ghosh), Dr. Kalyan Chakrabarti, Mr. Sekhar Datta, Mr. Sanjay Mukherjee and Mr. Pranabir Maity have so far been the recipients of the prestigious Vijay Pokarna Gold Medal of the Indian Rose Federation.